Sr. Consultant, GI, and HPB Surgical Oncology
Paras Hospitals, Gurugram
Education and Fellowships
- M.B.B.S., MAMC & Lok Nayak Hospital, University of Delhi
- M.S. (General Surgery), LHMC and SSK Hospital, University of Delhi
- DNB (Surgical Gastroenterology), Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, Diplomate National Board
- HBNI Fellowship GI and HPB Oncology, Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai, Homi Bhabha National Institute
- Open and Advanced Laparoscopic Surgeries for Cancers of Esophagus, Stomach, Liver, Gallbladder, Bile duct, Pancreas, Colon, and Rectum, etc.
- Complex surgeries for liver, pancreatic, retroperitoneal tumors including cytoreductive surgery and HIPEC for peritoneal surface malignancies
- Multidisciplinary and evidence-based management of gastrointestinal and HPB cancers
- Training of young surgeons and Research
Awards and Honors
- Scholar Badge awards for the years 1991-92, 1992-93, 1994-95 in DPS, R.K. Puram, New Delhi.
- Junior science talent search award for years 1992-94.
- National talent search examination award for the year 1994.
- Sanskrit Pratibha Puraskar 1994.
- Awarded the travel grant by ICMR to attend ILTS 2012.
- Awarded the Bursary to attend IASG 2012.
- Awarded the 2nd prize for the poster presented at IASG 2012.
- Awarded the prize for best poster at Indian chapter IHPBA 2014.
- Senior Consultant, Department of Surgical Gastroenterology, Dharamshila Narayana Superspeciality Hospital, New Delhi
- Internship at Lok Nayak Hospital attached to University College of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
- D.N.B Senior Resident in the Department of Surgical Gastroenterology and Liver Transplantation, at Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, New Delhi
- Consultant, Department of GI Surgery, Indraprastha Apollo, New Delhi
- Senior Consultant, GI and HPB Oncosurgery, National Cancer Institute, Nagpur
- Junior Resident in the Department of General Surgery, Lady Hardinge Medical College, New Delhi
- Special Senior Resident, Colorectal Service, Department of Surgical Oncology, Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai
- Lecturer in GI and HPB Surgical Oncology, Department of Surgical Oncology, Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai
- HBNI Fellow GI and HPB Oncology in Department of Surgical Oncology, Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai
- Assistant Professor in the Department of General Surgery at Lady Hardinge Medical College, New Delhi
- Senior Resident in the Department of General Surgery at Lady Hardinge Medical College, New Delhi
- Association of Surgeons of India (ASI)
- Indian Medical Association (IMA), Gurgaon
- Indian Medical Association (IMA), South Delhi
- Oncology Forum
- Gurgaon Oncology Forum
Research and Publications
- Randomized trial: Phase III Randomised controlled trial comparing D2 versus D3 lymphadenectomy on outcomes of non-metastatic, resectable, but locally advanced, gastric cancer following neoadjuvant (perioperative) chemotherapy (ELANCe trial)”
- Multicentre study: Developing a COre-set of Patient-Reported outcomes in pAncreatic Cancer (COPRAC): an international Delphi survey
- Prospective and retrospective study: Borderline resectable pancreatic tumors: outcomes of a multimodality approach
- Basic research study: Role of surgery-induced hypoxia in resectable periampullary and pancreatic adenocarcinoma undergoing pancreaticoduodenectomy and its correlation with changes in cell biology.
- Mitra A, Yadav A, Mehta N, Varma V, Kumaran V, Nundy S. Complicated perianal sepsis. Indian J Surgery. Indian J Surg. 2015 Dec;77(Suppl 3):769-73.
- Sirohi B, Barreto SG, Singh A, Batra S, Mitra A, Rastogi S, Ramadwar M, Shetty N, Goel M, Shrikhande SV. Epirubicin, oxaliplatin, and capecitabine is just as “MAGIC” al as epirubicin, cisplatin, and fluorouracil perioperative chemotherapy for resectable locally advanced gastro-oesophageal cancer. J Cancer Res Ther. 2014 Oct-Dec;10(4):866-70.
- Mitra A, De’souza A, Goel M, Shrikhande SV. Surgery for pancreatic and periampullary carcinoma. Indian Journal of Surgery. 2015 Oct;77(5):371-80.
- Mitra A, Shrikhande SV, Sirohi B. Histopathological regression after taxane based neoadjuvant chemotherapy in patients with resectable gastric or gastro-oesophageal junction adenocarcinoma. Transl Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2017 May 16;2:46.
- Sirohi B, Mitra A, Jagannath P, Singh A, Ramadvar M, Kulkarni S, Goel M, Shrikhande SV. Neoadjuvant chemotherapy in patients with locally advanced gallbladder cancer. Future Oncol. 2015 May;11(10):1501-9.
- van Rijssen LB, Gerritsen A, Henselmans I, Sprangers MA, Jacobs M, Bassi C, Busch OR, Fernández-Del Castillo C, Fong ZV, He J, Jang JY, Javed AA, Kim SW, Maggino L, Mitra A, Ostwal V, Pellegrini S, Shrikhande SV, Wilmink JW, Wolfgang CL, van Laarhoven HW, Besselink MG; COPRAC study group. Core Set of Patient-reported Outcomes in Pancreatic Cancer (COPRAC): An International Delphi Study Among Patients and Health Care Providers. Ann Surg. 2017 Dec 19. doi: 10.1097/SLA.0000000000002633.
- Mitra A, Pai E, Dusane R, Ranganathan P, DeSouza A, Goel M, Shrikhande SV. Extended pancreatectomy as defined by the ISGPS: useful in selected cases of pancreatic cancer but invaluable in other complex pancreatic tumors. Langenbecks Arch Surg. 2018 Mar;403(2):203-212. doi: 10.1007/s00423-018-1653-6.
- Agarwal V, Thomas MJ, Joshi R, Chaudhari V, Bhandare M, Mitra A, deSouza A, Ambulkar R, Shrikhande SV. Improved Outcomes in 394 Pancreatic Cancer Resections: the Impact of Enhanced Recovery Pathway. J Gastrointest Surg. 2018 Oct;22(10):1732-1742. doi: 10.1007/s11605-018-3809-7.
- Shinde R, Bhamre R, Niyogi D, Mitra A, Desouza A, Ostwal V, Engineer R, Dusane R, Saklani A. Does histology dictate outcomes of locally advanced rectal adenocarcinoma with complete pathological response following neoadjuvant chemoradiation? J Radiat Oncol (2018) 7: 85. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13566-017-0341-4.
- Bhambre R, Mitra A, Tamankar A, Desouza A, Saklani A. Impact of Length of Distal Margin on Outcomes Following Sphincter Preserving Surgery for Middle and Lower Third Rectal Cancers. Accepted in Indian Journal of Surgical Oncology.
- Mitra A, Mehta N, Varma V, Kumaran V, Nundy S. Current management of colorectal liver metastases: A perspective. The Ganga Ram Journal 2011;1:247–253.
- Mitra A, Sirohi B, Shrikhande SV. Neoadjuvant therapy in pancreatic cancer. Current Medicine Research and Practice (2014), http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cmrp.2014.03.002.
- Mitra A, Shrikhande SV. Commentary on Neoadjuvant treatment of borderline resectable and non-resectable pancreatic cancer. Annals of surgical oncology 2013. Pancreatic cancer India website.
- Shrikhande SV, Batra S, Mitra A, Patkar S, Goel M. Neuroendocrine Tumors of Pancreas. G.I. Surgery Annual. Volume 21.2014.
- Mitra A, Sirohi B, Goel M, Shrikhande SV. Borderline resectable pancreatic cancer. Evidence-Based Practices in Gastrointestinal, Colorectal and Hepatobiliary Surgery. Jaypee publishers, 2017. doi: 10.5005/jp/books/13024
- Sinu kumar S, Mitra A, Shrikhande SV. Puzzling cases- 2 pancreatic cases.
- Sirohi B, Mitra A, Shrikhande SV. Impact of chemoradiotherapy on postoperative complications in GI surgery.
- Shrikhande SV, Mitra A. Borderline resectable pancreatic cancer- What can we expect in the next 10 years. Pancreatology the next decade. November 21, 2014
- PLUS FIFTEEN ABSTRACTS IN INDEXED JOURNALS